New Delhi, Aug 22 :  Political parties, legal luminaries and activists today hailed the Supreme Court judgement declaring triple talaq unconstitutional, terming it historic and forward looking. Among the first to welcome the apex court verdict was Bharatiya Janata Party president Amit Shah who said the judgement would give equality and right to lead a life of dignity and respect to crores of Muslim women in the country. He said the judgment will usher a new era of equality and justice for Muslim women in the country. Reading his brief statement at a press conference here, Mr Shah praised the long-drawn legal battle of Muslim women against the practice of triple talaq which culminated in a path-breaking judgement by the Supreme Court. He hoped that the SC verdict would be a befitting step in the people's march towards New India. He also hailed efforts of the BJP, Central Government and Prime Minister Narendra Modi for wholehearted support to the Muslim women in their fight for equality, respect and justice. In the Independence Day address from the ramparts of the Red Fort, Mr Modi had also made a mention of the campaign of Muslim women against triple talaq and assured them of support from all sections of the people. Union Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi said the verdict was another step towards gender equality and justice. Welcoming the verdict, Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Col (retd.) Rajyavardhan Rathore said it was a huge step towards women's rights. Congress leader and former Union Minister Manish Tewari welcomed the 3:2 verdict of striking down Triple Talaq. 'It is a constructive, progressive decision that must be welcomed by all right thinkers,' he tweeted. Additional Solicitor General Pinky Anand described the judgement as forward looking, saying it was a great step which would go a long way in ensuring women's empowerment and enforcement of their rights. UNI

Share To:

Hello Jammu News

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours