Chennai, Mar 15: Wearing balck shirts, the principal Opposition DMK on Thursday boycotted the budget proposals for the year 2018-19 presented by Tamil Nadu Deputy Chief Minister O Panneerselvam in the State Assembly, in protest against the Centre's delay in setting up the Cauvery Management Board (CMB) and the Cauvery Water Regulatory Committee (CWRC) within six weeks as directed by the Supreme Court.
Soon after Mr Panneerselvam, who also holds the Finance portfolio, rose to present his budget speech, leader of the Opposition and DMK Working President M K Stalin sought to raise the issue.
But Speaker P Dhanapal refused permission, stating that the Deputy Chief Minister had started his budget speech.
As the Speaker denied them permission, the DMK members staged a walk out from the House and boycotted the budget presentation.
They were followed by the members of its alliance parties Congress and IUML.
Later, Mr Stalin, talking to reporters outside the Assembly premises, said the DMK was boycotting the budget presentation as the Centre has failed to take steps to set up the CMB and the CWRC as directed by the Apex Court in its February 16 order 
on the Cauvery issue and the Prime Minister's failure to give an appointment to meet 
an all-party delegation from Tamil Nadu on the issue.
It may be recalled that an all party meeting convened by the ruling AIADMK on February 22 to discuss the Supreme Court order, had unanimously resolved that 
an all-party delegation, comprising leaders of various parties, MPS, MLAs and representatives of farmers Associations, would soon meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi and urge him to set up the CMB and CWRC, besides implementing the favourable aspects contained in the Apex Court order.
But when the state government sought an appointment with the PMO, it was asked to meet the concerned Union Minister first on the issue.
This was disclosed by the Chief Minister at a meeting with DMK Working President and Leader of the Opposition M K Stalin at the State Secretariat.
Mr Stalin had been reiterating that the Prime Minister, by refusing an appointment, has hurt the sentiments of the State on the crucial Cauvery river water issue concerning the livelihood of the farmers in the delta districts of the State.
But the Tamil Nadu government, countered it, by stating that the Prime Minister had not refused an appointment and had only said that the all-party delegation should meet the concerned Union Minister on the issue.
The Apex Court while delivering the much-awaited verdict reduced Tamil Nadu's quantum by 14.75 tmcft to 177.25 tmcft citing the need to supply drinking water to Bengaluru city (4.75 tmcft).
It may be recalled that the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal in its final award in 2007 had directed Karnataka to release 192 tmc ft of water and it was notified in the government gazette in 2013 following the orders of the Supreme court. 
Tamil Nadu was allocated 192 tmcft of water in the final award of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal. UNI
Share To:

Hello Jammu News

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours